Friday, July 16, 2010

Cranach the Elder: Original Gangsta, 1508



Prismacolor, ink, acrylic, collage in Moleskine, 2010

The detail from Lucas Cranach the Elder's original painting, The Martyrdom of St. Katherine, that the central figure comes from can be seen below.
It is with great ease that I can draw and paint grotesques. It is much easier to render something hideous than it is to create something beautiful. One reason why I like Cranach's paintings so much is that the old master was also adept at painting horrendously ugly creatures, and it tells me that I am not so far off base.
Some art historians believe that this was actually Cranach's self portrait as St. Katherine's executioner. Sneaking my own face into drawings I've made is also something I enjoy doing.
The works of the old masters can provide interesting subject matter for new compositions. I was never much a fan of doing straightforward 'master studies', I am more interested in only paying attention to details that intrigue me. I do put some effort into being thorough and honest about my sources, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment