Thursday, August 5, 2010

Waddles, Mascots, and Folk Singers








This is our last full week of summer vacation before having to go back to school. I can't gripe about it because I am glad that I have a job. Between getting ready and painting murals, there hasn't been as much time as I would like for sketching. I made the most of Jeanne's eye doctor appointment this morning and drew Chuck up there. The other two drawings have been worked on since last month.
Aren't turkeys gross? The only magazine in the office that had interesting stuff to draw was the same outdoors magazine that I referenced last time. Everything else was a lot of 'Better Homes' crap, or worse yet, Golf Digest.
For those of you who are just joining us, WoofOink, The Mystical Pig-Dog is this blog's official mascot. WoofOink's new look is a much cartoonier synthesis of pig and dog that doesn't have a head on either end. The thought of how the poor creature would actually poo was keeping me up at night!

I guess the reason why I like to draw and paint so much psychedelic hippie stuff is because I sort of wish that it would have worked- I mean their whole ethos about a more peaceful and loving world. I wish that it would have worked, but obviously it didn't.
There aren't any real hippies left today, unless you count all the ones who actually lived thorough that time period and are probably all grannies and grandpas by now. The people who define themselves as such in this century are either being superficial or delusional just like I was ten years ago.
Not to say that there aren't people in the world today who share those values, yet don't call themselves hippies. There are people with good souls and people who place much importance on their dreams. Just because they don't reek of patchouli and wear a tie-dyed shirt doesn't mean they aren't children of the revolution.

Fly your freak flag!

No comments:

Post a Comment