Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The day's offerings







Ever notice that in science fiction, the benevolent aliens are usually the ones with more feminine qualities, while the malevolent ones are often brimming with testosterone? Just a thought.

This is my second full week of summer vacation, and I have tried to be much more productive than I am during the school year. Not everybody realizes the amount of time and energy that goes into painting. It is work, it's not just fun and games. However, it is enjoyable work. Few people get to do work that they enjoy, and over the next two months, I will be a very fortunate person.
Ordinarily I don't post works in progress, but documenting the development of this piece might prove valuable if I screw it up at any future stage. The next step will be a Prismacolor and dry pastel overlay, which will then get filled in with more acrylic.
Yes, I am focusing on my own enjoyment, and no, I did not choose 'artsy' subject matter. It looks very sci-fi or surrealist, and I like it that way. I start out abstract, and then I paint the images I see on the canvas, sort of like staring at a cloud and seeing shapes. My brain just works better that way.


And yes, I am going to talk about the sheep drawing. It was made while sitting in the eye doctor's office, looking at a travel brochure about Alaska. It is a dall sheep. I messed up on his muzzle, it's supposed to be a lot longer than that. I didn't want to go off of the page. I drew it with my favorite implement, the Pitt artist pen, which is a brush-tipped pen full of India ink.

Jeanne and I have been watching seasons one and two of Lost all week on Netflix. We usually watch two or three episodes consecutively. I never realized it was such a good show. This will be our Lost summer. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment