Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day!






Ink, gouache, Prismacolor, and acrylic in Moleskine ,2010.

Happy Father's Day to the very slim margin of dads out there who are reading my blog!

Expect these posts to only appear once or twice a week instead of daily. I have a wedding to prepare for as well as a new school year, and the drawings and paintings are going to have to be given less of a priority. As I said last time though, the quality will not suffer even if the quantity declines.

As for the drawings:
The guy with the beard was a background figure in a painting by Wolf Huber from 1550.
Jeanne and I were having fun with a sticker machine, and these pages have all sorts of scraps stuck to them from found objects and smaller drawings. I enjoy occasionally making a collage of my own work.
Manabu Kurita tied the world's record for catching a bass that weighed over 22 lbs. back in January of this year. I copied him from a photo in an outdoors and fishing magazine I found at the doctor's office. I don't really give a shit about fishing as a sport, but Japanese dudes with mullets are always of interest.





Matsya was the first avatar of Vishnu in Hindu mythology. He appeared to Manu (the first man) to warn him of a massive flood that would destroy all life, and instructed Manu to take all kinds of herbs and seeds so that they could be replanted after it was over (sound familiar?) As to why he is headless, I don't know. I copied the weird vignette from a Taschen book called India Bazaar.
Lately when I am not reading novels I'm going to have to teach to 5th graders, I've been dipping into The Hero's Journey, which is Joseph Campbell's biography in the form of interviews. It's been causing me to think in a more mythological sense about the books I'm reading, the shows I'm watching, and the stuff I'm drawing. I'm a lot nerdier than most people realize.

No comments:

Post a Comment